Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Into Kentucky...

Ride Time: 6:09:20 Distance: 71.90 MilesAverage Speed: 11.2 MPH Max Speed: 36.6 MPH Average Temperature 83 Degrees
It was the day that wouldn't end, no it went on and on my friend. Well I am finally into Kentucky. And what a day it has been. I believe Kentucky is the patron state of loose dogs. Most of them only want to run along side the bike and bark a lot, however I am pretty sure one or two wanted to take a chunk out of my calf. But that is just the beginning of my day. My goal for today was Pippa Passes, KY and the hostel that is located there. Only problem is when I got there, the hostel was closed. No problem, I can push on 8 miles to Hindman and the two hotels there. When I got to Hindman, it turns out that the one hotel has closed and the other is 3 miles outside of town. Well I didn't really have a choice now, so on to the Motel 80. 411 couldn't find a number so I just got directions from the locals and off I went. Only problem is when I showed up no one is in the office. After about 30 minutes talking to the residents of the hotel, the owners nephew (I think) got me into a room and I paid him in cash. But I am in a room, and have a bed, so that is all that matters to me at the moment. A long, but satisfying day. Until tomorrow....

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had another interesting day -- LOL -- I'm glad to see that you are in for the night -- I guess that would keep anyone going. I'm sure your going to sleep like a baby tonight -- I know I am -- you biked about 70 miles and I walked 4.5 today -- according to my pedometer -- I know the 2 aren't close -- but you knowing the shape I'm in -- that would be like you going straight threw to California tonight -- LOL -- I love you -- talk to you again tomorrow -- NOT TO EARLY ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “SOONER OR LATER WE ALL DISCOVER THAT THE IMPORTANT MOMENTS IN LIFE ARE NOT THE ADVERTISED ONES, NOT THE BIRTHDAYS, THE GRADUATIONS, THE WEDDINGS, NOT THE GREAT GOALS ACHIEVED. THE REAL MILESTONES ARE LESS PREPOSSESSING. THEY COME TO THE DOOR OF MEMORY UNANNOUNCED, STRAY DOGS THAT AMBLE IN, SNIFF AROUND A BIT AND SIMPLY NEVER LEAVE. OUR LIVES ARE MEASURED BY THESE”
    - Susan B. Anthony
    Today was a notable milestone - the second of two seventy mile days and entering Kentucky. That marks finishing the first state on your nine state trek. Since you have been encountering so many dogs, I thought I would use this quote to mark the milestone. I can't believe that the Hindeman Police have an answering machine. You really are in back woods country. But, I did find you a pizza place that delivers. Enjoy the wings and pizza. Sleep well in Hotel 80.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Well maybe those dogs are your "Cooper". Keep your eyes peeled. Who suggested dog biscuits, not a bad idea. Love you happy to see your in a different state. Take some pictueres. The day looks beautiful, enjoy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Matt, Sorry it has taken me so long to respon, I was having trouble with my ID. I have been monitoring your trip from the beginning. I loved the natural bridge. I am proud of your efforts keep up the good work, stay on an upbeat. Looking forward to the next stop.
    Father Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Fr. Mark's name hisholiness what a riot! Sorry you're having such a hard time with all the dogs. Bring some strays home for me I'll be happy to take care of them. Uncle Hugh on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete