Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more...


As today was my first full day out of Kansas, I thought the title was appropriate. I know it is sad, but I have been waiting for like two weeks to use that title. After waking up in North Platte, Mom and I started our drive towards South Dakota. After about five hours we found ourselves standing in front of the sixty foot faces of our nation's greatest leaders. Looking up at the sculpture pulled from the granite of a mountain is a truly majestic sight, and a fitting tribute to those who founded and shaped our nation. After the sun had set, we stayed for the night lighting of the monument, and seeing the stone illuminated against the night sky was a sight well worth waiting. After this, we left and drove another four hours to Wheatland, WY where we spent the night and today, we push on into Colorado. As for today, we shall see what the day brings. Until then....

2 comments:

  1. OK -- its sounds like you guys are starting to have to much fun -- how do I sign up to join the club? Oh and by the way -- did you get that cable yet? I WANT TO SEE >:-(
    Glad to see you guys are having fun taking in all the beautiful sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "HENCE, LET US PLACE THERE, CARVED HIGH, AS CLOSE TO HEAVEN AS WE CAN, THE WORDS OF OUR LEADERS, THEIR FACES, TO SHOW POSTERITY WHAT MANNER OF MEN THEY WERE. THEN BREATHE A PRAYER THAT THESE RECORDS WILL ENDURE UNTIL THE WIND AND RAIN ALONE SHALL WEAR THEM AWAY."
    Gutzom Borglum - Artist and Designer Mount Rushmore

    I too am starting to be envious of some of your travels. Mount Rushmore sounds awesome. Can't wait to see your photos. I believe there are over 200 radio shack stores in Colorado. I am thinking you and mom can find that replacement cable. Looks like there are several great attractions on your way to Pueblo. Looking forward to your next update.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete