Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Monday, August 31, 2009

And the bags come off....

Today I learned the same lesson as the buxom woman who runs a marathon: It's good to be supported. Today was my first day without my bags and I had close to a 18 MPH average. However, I only biked a little over 40 miles. After lunch Mom and I decided to head up to Mount Rushmore. I know Nebraska is famous for its corn, but seriously at one point we had corn for at least five miles in every direction. It was one of those sights that make you feel insignificant; like standing at the bottom of a skyscraper or on the floor of the Grand Canyon. We made it as far as North Platte, before stopping for dinner and a place to stay for the night. By some strange alignment of the cosmos, we found Penny's Diner to eat tonight (For those of you who don't know, my mother's name is Penny). Tomorrow, we cross into the Mountain Timezone and on to South Dakota to see some really big presidents. Until then.....

PS: I have been taking pictures, however, I am having issues finding the cord to transfer them from the camera to the computer, I will add in the pictures to old posts when I find the cord.

4 comments:

  1. hi matt, glad to be reading your blog again! Mt. Rushmore sounds great, look forward to seeing the pics! glad you have your mom for a little bit! be safe, aunt lisa h.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh Ha -- you knew I was going to ask for pictures -- so you thought by saying you can't find the cord would shut me up -- I will let you have that one for one day -- tomorrow is another day -- and I am sure they have some camera stores out there some where between the corn -- LOL -- glad to see Mama made it there safe and sound. How was dinner at "Penny"s diner"? If it was anything like the way your Mom cooks -- I'm sure the bread and water was great -- LOL -- don't show her this comment please ;-) anywho -- enjoy Mt. Rushmore -- say Hi to the boys for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy. I figured it was about time to start following your blog. Even though your venture isn't taking you anywhere near Texas. Blasphemy! Hehehe. Say hi to 'the boys' for me too!
    Oh and for the record, what you're doing is really quite inspiring. Thank you for it.

    p.s. I heard about your DoodleJump score. It's ON mo-fo... Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. "NEBRASKA MUST BE THE MOST UNEXCITING OF ALL THE STATES. COMPARED WITH IT, IOWA IS PARADISE."
    -- The Lost Continent Bill Bryson

    Yet again I go to Mr. Bryson to describe the Nebraska experience. I guess you found out first hand why they call it the Cornhusker State. Other than Johnny Carson and Fred Astaire, I am not certain what Nebraska is famous for? Hopefully, you and Mom will experience better sights in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Penny if he can't find the cord, buy him a new one. We want pictures.
    Love you guys.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete