Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...and Bikes too!


There is a certain solemnity to riding a train through the countryside. My car is only one quarter full, so it is easy to forget that other people are with me on this journey. As you know, I jumped on the opportunity to get off the bike again and ride the rails instead. What I did not mention is why. There are two reason for this. The first is simple; this became more than a bicycle trip a long time ago. Since I first rented the car in Kentucky I have been on a plane, a bus, and a car. In San Francisco, I will take a ferry across the bay so the only mode of transport left out would have been a train (And we couldn't have that). The second reason is what made this part of the journey essential. Due to track work between Denver and Salt Lake City, Amtrak has diverted service onto track owned by the Union-Pacific Railroad. That in itself is not cause for excitement, that is until I found out that some of this route is updaed track from the original Transcontinental Railroad. On this trip where I have envisioned myself in the shoes and saddles of the pioneers of old, how could I pass up the opportunity to once again travel their path. As for the journey itself, it was a rather uneventful twelve hour trip. However, if you have the time I would definately recommend taking a train journey at some point. Now I am in Salt Lake City and trying to plan my day, so I will fill you all in later. Until then....

4 comments:

  1. Come along and ride this train come along and ride this rain
    Cross the mountains prairies reservations rivers levees plains
    Come along and ride this train
    Johnny Cash
    Matt:
    The path you are following is one blazed by explorers, pioneers, ingenious entrepreneurs and inventors. Their efforts were all about tranforming American civilization. Your goal is a little narrower in scope. It is about transformation of self. I can hear it in your voice and I can feel it in your words. Way to go. I continue to be proud of you. Remember, happiness is not a destination in which you arrive, it is the journey there. Enjoy the journey.
    Love ya.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey babe,
    No matter where you go you will find adventure. Enjoy the sites, the city and the museums. Please don't throw mamma from the train. I have really enjoyed tracking you while you think and plan your trip across America, you are a creative, self-styled unpredictable traveler and thats admirable. Love you mom, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    It's a great way to travel once your on a train. When we went to Ga. we took the train and it seem like within minutes we were there. Nothing like sitting in a car or on a plane.
    Enjoy ever thing that you are doing cause God knows if you'll ever get to do it again. Love Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey pal -- sounds like your really enjoying your journey. Take notes -- someday I would love to follow in your footsteps and travel the same roads -- It would be helpful to know where and what to see. But again as for now -- seeing it through your eyes is just as good. I love ya :-)

    ReplyDelete