Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Friday, September 11, 2009

I have friends in dry places...

Well, I am sitting on the train waiting to depart Salt Lake City. That
being the case, I believe a recap is in order. My first day here, I
walked everywhere. From the Mormon temple to the state capital and
many places not in between. On thing I keep forgetting in this arid
climate is: Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Especially since I don't have
my water bottles staring at me eight hours a day. So I ended up with a
hangover feeling at the end of walking around. However once I had
dealt with that I hit the gym. I know at least 3/4 of you are shocked
by that statement. Being the first real workout I have done since my
trip started, I am more than a little sore today. After the workout, I
cleaned up and headed to a Brew Pub I had seen earlier in the day. I
am very glad I picked this place because the food was tasty, the beer
was good and the coversation insightful (Hello to my new friend if you
are checking in). This morning I got off to a slow start since I
knew I had to kill time until my 11:30 train. After walking around
town again for a while I headed to see a movie to pass some time. Once
time finally came I showed up at the train station only to meet four
bikers packing their bikes up for transport. Looks like I am not the
only who wants to skip Nevada. We stood around waiting for the train
swapping war stories about distance traveled, dogs avoided and hills
climbed. It was nice to meet some other younger people who are on this
trip for some of the same reasons I am. Talking with them has really
gotten me excited to hope back on the bike. Well, we have now departed
Salt Lake City. As we leave the city lights I think I will try and get
some rest for Reno waits in the distance. By the time most of you read
this I will be in the Pacific Timezone. Until tomorrow...

PS: I am updating this from my phone so pictures will be added later.

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning -- glad to see everything is going good -- and you were right about being shocked -- LOL -- but after seeing the journey you are on -- I think twice now before I doubt you :-) As I said before -- Reno is great and beautiful -- have fun -- good luck -- and be careful -- and play 7 for me :-) talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Got not time for spreading roots, the time has come to be gone. And though our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on."
    "Ramble On" Led Zepplin

    I know how much you like Led Zeppelin so I thought this was apropos for today. Moving on again and this time in the midst of some fellow bikers.The drinking reference is in relation to yet another brewery. " Ramble On" my son you will be in Reno before you know it. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    Talk to you soon.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well babe, Can you believe you have made it this far. I can. Hope it is everything you wanted. Be careful and keep drinking, well water every now and then would be good too! Sounds like you will be a beer connoisseur by the time you come home. Not a bad job, someone has to do it. Glad to hear you made some more friends. Can not wait to hear all about them. Have fun and be safe. Love you, me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt, Have a beer or should I say a Red Eye on me. Ha,Ha,
    God keep you safe and healthy
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matt, How was 9/11 out there? Since we all live in the East and were so close to what happened, I wonder if sentiment is as strong there as it is for us back here! Nothing like a hard workout and topping it off with an ice cold beer! Good choice... safe journey my friend!

    xo - Aunt Lisa H

    ReplyDelete