Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Ol' Kansas City Shuffle...






(Yeah that guy was staring me down as I rode by) Well after another short day of biking (about 40 miles) I called Enterprise to work out how I was going to get to my flight on Friday to make it home for the wedding and Jeff Dunham show I found out that if I didn't take possession of a car post haste, I would be stuck about 200 miles away from the airport. So I rented a car and drove up to Kansas City. Got here about 11:15 PM CST last night. After waking up this morning, I headed to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. After browsing through the collection I wandered outside where I saw the most recognizable item of the day, Rodin's "The Thinker". Wanting to compare St. Louis BBQ to Kansas City I asked the locals where to go. The unanimous recommendation was Oklahoma Joe's. So I made a quick trip across state lines to give it a try. If the line out the door was any kind of indication, I was in the right place. As the line wrapped around this convience store/gas station (no joke), I read some of the multiple accolades of the store. June 2009 Men's Health ranked it in its list of 13 places to eat before you die. So with that and Katz's deli in NYC I have at least 2 down. Well the wait was worth it as the meat litterally peeled right off the bone, and the sauces were delicious. After that it was on to the library of the 33rd President of the United States of America (Harry S. Truman). Relaxing before dinner. Talk to you all later.

4 comments:

  1. "WELL I MIGHT TAKE A PLANE, I MIGHT TAKE A TRAIN
    IF I HAVE TO WALK, I'M GOING THERE JUST THE SAME
    I'M GOING TO, KANSAS CITY, KANSAS CITY, HERE I COME
    THEY GOT A CRAZY WAY A-LOVIN' AN I WANNA GET ME SOME"
    Albert King
    Hey Matt:
    I remember singing this song in the good old Syncopation days. There is a line in the song that talks about standing on the corner of 12th Street and Vine with my Kansas City baby and a bottle of Kansas City wine. Don't know how the women and wine are, but the BBQ sure sounds good. Looks like you now know the etimology of the phrase "finger lickin good". The shipment of pins for my collection arrived today. Thank you so much! Can't wait till you get home. Miss you buddy.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pal -- sounds like you had some fun and sights again today. It was only about 2 months ago -- I was watching the Food Channel and that show came on about famous Diners with Guy ??? -- I forget his last name -- however he went to Oaklahoma Joe's and he loved it -- it looked soooooo good to me as well -- and I remember it because it was a gas station/convience store. It looked so good that I took Grandma & Alex out for BBQ that night -- LOL -- no joke -- any who -- I am glad to see that you are enjoying your journey -- but I am much happier to see that you will be joining us for Jeff Dunham. See ya soon -- save HOME ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok,I must be honest, I am jealous that we are not getting to try some of this delicious food but you know me, (or as everybody else would say), as long as my children are experiencing it that works for me. I am sure when you come home you will try and experiment with cooking for us. I hope so!! I am sure you enjoyed the art museum also. Can't wait to hear about everything when you get home. OK, honestly I can't wait just to see you. Love you, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt,
    You've had quite a trip. What's better than combining two of your favorite passions and enjoying them at the same time.
    Yippe to you.
    Enjoy the wedding and Jeff Dunham.

    Kathleeno

    ReplyDelete