Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Plums are to Prunes as Matt is to...well Prunes

Ride Time: 4:47:41 Total Distance: 53.38 Miles
Average Speed: 11.1 MPH Max Speed: 35.7 MPH Average Temp: 75 degrees

I got soaked today, and my fingers and toes are still pruned. I wanted to get an early start, but the morning rain delayed my start. Closing up camp in the rain was a slow process, since I was trying to keep all my gear dry. Breakfast was at the local Waffle House where all the waitresses and customers couldn't have been nicer (They even let me charge my phone as my food digested). After topping off my liquids and doning my rain gear I got on the road. I have to say I found out that a succubus is not a mythical creature, it is the gloom of a rainy day. I just didn't feel like continuing on. However, I did and it was worth it. I met Ed and Keith, two separate bikers on the last leg of a cross-country journey (PS Ed, Keith is only about 7 miles behind you if you check this), and seeing them really encouraged me to go on. Today wasn't really a sightseeing day as the only thing I consistantly saw was the rain in my eyes. However, I did have my first two dog run-ins. First was a beagle-mix, I was going up hill so there was no avoiding him. However I used my bike to separate myself from the dog. Apparently I had gotten between him and his house, once we were on the right sides again he calmed down and trotted away. The second incident was about 10 miles from my destination. I saw the german shepard in the yard, when he started barking I was going downhill, but it was the little dog in the bushes that I missed. He came running out into the road, and was about to get a face full of my heel when I think his electronic fence finally kicked in (and possibly he knew that being in the road was a bad idea). I need to start carrying my mace in a more accessible place. Once I made it to Wytheville, I got a great rate at a motel and a stomach full of mexican food for under $10. Now I am sitting in my room trying to dry out my wet gear. Tomorrow on to?

4 comments:

  1. "SUCCESS IS NOT A PLACE AT WHICH ONE ARRIVES, BUT RATHER THE SPIRIT WITH WHICH ONE UNDERTAKES AND CONTINUES THE JOURNEY."
    Alex Noble
    Rain, dogs and more rain - yet you got your emotions and spirit in gear in order to continue the journey. Congratulations, you're awesome. Glad you had some comfort food and are indoors for a dry restful evening. Pace yourself tomorrow as it looks like more hills to climb. Hope the sun shines for you too. Keep blogging.
    Set your sights on Konnarock.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pineapple -- sounds like you had a fun day in the rain. I give you credit for 2 things -- one, for going on in the rain -- that shows me that you are determined to complete your journey. And two you have alot of guts having Mexican food when you will be on a bike for some time and not knowing where your next bathroom break will be :-) But I am sure everything came out just fine for both. Have a great day -- can't wait to see what or who is next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To bad you could not put up a big umbrella, how funny would that be!! Sorry about all the rain, but if you would have given up you would not have met Ed and Keith. Today may clear up for you. Hopefully all the way to Glade Spring. What's a matter with you, you must be aware of the ambush from the bushes, the dogs probable work together(ha-ha). Good luck with the climb talk to you later. Love you, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Matt, I thought of you last nite thru our torrential downpours! Stay strong. Maybe a dog treat would come in handy now! Beagles will howl at their own shadows, but you've got to thank the girl that invented that invisible fence! Kudos on the mexican food. love, Aunt L.

    ReplyDelete