Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fifty is Nifty....

Ride Time: 4:43:28 Total Distance: 54.76
Average Speed: 11.6 MPH Max Speed:P 35.7
I know most people celebrate their first 100 mile day, but I'm getting closer. For the first time this trip I have gone over 50 miles in a day. Tomorrow I am aiming for about the same. I left the hotel at about 9AM this morning and spend the large majority of the time since then in the seat of my bike. Although I did for the first time try a Sonic drive-in, I like the Cherry Limeade. Other than that, the day was pretty uneventful. However, I did learn that just because a road is on a map, doesn't mean that it is A)Completed B) Suitable for traffic. After following a "shortcut" a local told me (Which actually was a good one) I ended up an a gravel/dirt lane, which abruptly ended leaving me to hike the bike over a set of railroad track to pick the same road up on the other side. But it did save me climbing up a really big hill so I'm still not complaining about it. And then with 4 miles left in my journey for the day I hit another really big hill. With my legs already fatigued, it took me a little while to get up it. But once I did, it was an easy cruise into Christiansberg. Tonight I am staying at a campground/trailerpark right outside the actual part of the city. Encouraging news is that I did see a Cracker Barrel so I think I know where I am having breakfast. Tomorrow, I am going to try to push out another 50+ mile day. I think I only have about 3-4 more days of mountains and of Virginia for that matter. Today also put my past the 200 mile mark for my journey. Lastly, my gloves have left a nice square tan on the back of my hands. Until tomorrow....

6 comments:

  1. "I FIND I'M SO EXCITED I CAN BARELY SIT STILL OR HOLD A THOUGHT IN MY HEAD. I THINK IT'S THE EXCITEMENT ONLY A FREE MAN CAN FEEL. A FREE MAN AT THE START OF A LONG JOURNEY WHOSE CONCLUSION IS UNCERTAIN."
    Ellis Boyd AKA Red
    Shawshank Redemption

    I can start to feel the excitement in your voice and in your written word. In turn, I get excited to see your blog and any related pictures. Stopped in the bike shop in Mount Holly. They were all excited about your trek. Great day. Keep up the good work! Until tomorrow, I leave you with the words of Derrice Bannock,
    "COOL RUNNINGS MEANS PEACE BE 'DA JOURNEY"
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey munch, job well done, but I find it hard to believe it was that uneventful travelling 50 plus miles in a place that you have never been. To you it may not have been as exciting as the top of the world or the natural bridge but to those of us viewing this through your eyes and words I find it quite amazing. Sorry babe, but people are going to start to think you play golf(ha-ha)with no tan on your feet or hands. Good luck tomorrow with the next fifty!
    Love you, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey pal -- glad to see you had a nice day of rest, and I am happy to see that you didn't let it get you down -- you pressed on more today than ever before -- I too am proud of you. Before you started I used to say you were crazy for wanting to do this. Now I can't wait for your next day of adventure and sights. Your still crazy -- LOL -- but its a crazy that you will cherish for the rest of your life.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,I look forward to your blog, it is the high point of my day. A great start for a book.

    "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching clouds float across the sky, is by no mesns a waste of time." John Lubbock

    Take the above quote to heart and enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Matt,
    Hope your day started off well. Just to let you know you have reached another milestone, HAPPY 1 WEEK ANNIVERSARY!! Just a week ago today and over two hundred miles apart daddy and I stood watching you pedal away into the sunset. Well not really the sunset but it sounds good. I believe it was approximately 9:43AM it was a little hard to see my phone, probably some of the little tear drops were clouding my vision(OK babbling streams running down my face.)At that time I know what I was feeling but I have to tell you after reading all your blogs and reading all the comments I feel one hundred percent better. Knowing you have all these guardian angels watching over you. You are blessed and loved. To hear the excitement in your voice even the day you climbed 3,300 feet I know what you are doing is not crazy. Just wanted you to know I love you and anxiously await to read your next blog. Love, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Matt I can almost feel the breeze on my face. I'll bet you're looking forward to leaving Virginia behind and entering a new realm of discovery.

    ReplyDelete