Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I thought tacking was a sailing term...

Ride Time: 4:05:30 Distance: 45.28
Average Speed: 11.1 MPH Max Speed: 35.0 MPH Avg. Temp: 77 degrees

After once again trying to wait out the rain and the gloom it brings I got off to a late start at 11 AM. I really don't like riding with the gray skies, and tomorrow isn't looking promising either. The morning ride was a battle as the rains also brought with them a menacing headwind. When I stopped for lunch I met a very nice couple from CT who are doing a supported ride to the West Coast. We chatted for a while before parting ways and trails after lunch. Meeting them really gave me a nice pick-me-up, as it can get a little lonely at times out on the road. Stopped in at a bike shop topped off my air and off I went. I decided to stay on US 11 all day to cut out about 30 miles and a few mountains. Other than another dog chase, nothing too interesting to end the day (This one was about .5 seconds from getting maced, but he decided to give up the chase). I ended up in Glade Spring, VA. Ate some Italian food, did a batch of laundry and now just relaxing in room. Tomorrow will depend on the weather as there are some severe weather warnings in the area that might keep me inside tomorrow. However, Saturday is looking like SUNNY SKIES!! Until tomorrow, Good night and Good luck

4 comments:

  1. YOU CAN STEER YOURSELF
    ANY DIRECTION YOU CHOOSE.
    YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN. AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW.
    AND YOU ARE THE GUY WHO'LL DECIDE WHERE TO GO.
    OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
    - Dr.Seuss
    Change of weather and change of direction do not matter. What does matter is that you know where your going and you know how to get there. You continue your steady progress to accomplish your goals. Glad your indoors tonight. Be flexible. If you need to adjust your travel days - Do It!
    As the song from Bye Bye Birdie sugests, Gray Skies are gonna clear up, Put on a Happy Face.
    Love ya.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say "you thought tacking was a sailing term" I don't know -- with all the rain lately maybe you should trade the bike in for a sail boat -- LOL -- just kidding -- I have a great feeling the next week is going to be beautiful. Just like Jude says -- "gray skies are gonna clear up" -- in your case -- you don't have to put your happy face on -- its already there :-) keep up the GREAT work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so they say a little rain never killed any one and do not let it kill your spirits either. You have been doing a great job. Use this time to plan out the next couple of days, just look at it this way it's better than snow!! And your indoors. Love ya, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing I want to know is where your father keeps coming up with all these quotes?

    ReplyDelete