Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Friday, July 24, 2009

I've been to the mountain top...


Total Distance: 38.51 miles
Ride Time: 4:02:23 Average Speed:9.5 MPH Max Speed: 37.0 MPH
"If this hill doesn't kill us it will surely break our hearts" Stony Jackson, Heartbreak Ridge.
Well that wasn't my experience today, although it surely could have been. I started the day in Charlottesville (Elevation 594 ft) only planning on going 20 miles or so, as to start climbing Afton mountain fresh tomorrow. However when I got close, I said "Screw it, I can do this" and started the climb. Each foot of the climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway was agonizing. I literally began to do it 1/10 of a mile at a time. However, during one of my breaks 3/4 of the way up I got passed by Mike (I think), a HS teacher from Houston. Well, we couldn't have that, so I chased him down and talked for a few minutes before letting him pull ahead so I didn't feel the need to keep up with him. It was during that break that I met a few people in a rest stop (Elevation 1825 ft) and talked for a bit (I gave them the blog address, so Hi if you are checking in). After they left I met 3 cyclists heading the other way to stay in Afton. However I decided to push on to Love. So I began climbing again, and it wasn't getting any easier. However, I eventually made it to the Raven's Roost Overlook (Elevation 3300 ft). So for those of you keeping track that is 2706 feet vertically (Just over half a mile). And every excruciating minute of it was worth it, because the decent was amazing. I don't know if the tears were from the 40mph wind hitting my eyes or the pure joy I was feeling but it made every grueling inch disappear from my mind (Almost). After making it to the cabins, I decided to make myself a feast to celebrate ahi tuna, mashed potatoes, a bottle of Snapple, and an oatmeal cream pie for dessert. It all tasted delicious, even if it was Chicken of the Sea and Powdered Mashed potatoes (PS I don't recommend these products on a normal basis, but today was an exception). Well see what tomorrow brings, but I am predicting a short journey because I'm exhausted.
PS: For those keeping tracking I passed the 100 mile mark today.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how beautiful!! I can not believe how far you have travelled. Take in all the sites it definitly looks like it is awsome!!Have fun going down hill tomorrow. That probably will be the wind in your eyes but i think it will also be a bit of excitement.
    Love you, please be careful. Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Believe you can and you're half way there!"
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Way to go Matt. Great day! Keep pushing tomorrow and you will have earned your rest day.
    Remember your Rock Band experience with The Smurfs
    "You live for the fight when it's all you got...
    We're(sic You're) Half Way There..."
    Bon Jovi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pal -- good morning -- sorry I didn't check in last night -- I too was up and down hills with work -- of course in my car -- LOL -- but I know that it wasn't as fulfilling as your climb. Just the way you talked about it made me feel like I was there with you -- and its about time you took some pictures -- I am looking forward to seeing more of this great country through your journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your ride today is 1/10th the treasure that it was yesterday. Matt, your post was beautiful and made me feel like i was right along with you. How exciting to follow a dream! Be well...

    ReplyDelete