Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Saturday, July 25, 2009

For every up there is a down....

Distance: 44.73 miles Ride Time: 3:53:50
Average Speed: 11.2 Max Speed 97.3 (That's what the computer says and who am I to argue)
Max Temp: 102
And this one was extreme. After leaving the cabin late this morning, I biked 11 more miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway, once again climbing to above 3300 ft (twice). But then it came, the decent. Wow! I was on and off my brakes the entire time taking switchbacks at breakneck speed (Don't worry Mom, I only said that to make it sound cooler). I actually had to stop to let my brakes cool because they were heating up so much (I nearly burnt my hand when I went to touch them.) So the 4 mile decent into Vesuvius flew by (literally). When I got there it was decision time, camp or press on. And press on I did. On to Mallard Campgrounds near Buena Vista. But when I got there it was only 2 PM, couldn't stop there. Onto Lexington, well maybe not, ok onto the KOA Campgrounds in Natural Bridge, VA. After heating up two cans of Chef Bouardee (sp?) I meet my neighbors, both of which were very nice, and interested in hearing about my trip. Then when I finally got my fire going it happened, the skys opened up and let us have it. While hunkered down in my bunker, ok its only a one person tent but it held up well, I checked the radar on my phone; directly overhead all red, oh boy and a warning for 60 MPH+ winds, oh fun. But now the storm has passed, for now, another smaller one expected at 1 AM, but I have pushed all my stakes in deeper and I am ready to rock and roll, tomorrow a short day, I think, and then maybe a rest day, maybe.

3 comments:

  1. Well Matt, at the rate you are going you will have completed your trip before I have time to clean your room. Hope you are taking in all the sites. Can not wait to see some pictures. Hope the storms are over for awhile. I hope it is smooth sailing for the next leg, to give your legs a rest. Love you, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Life is like a rainbow. You need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear.”
    Sorry you got rained on today :-( But as the quote says, that mountain wouldn't have been quite as green without it. Batten down the hatches for tonight and prepare yourself for that day of rest. You're doing great!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pineapple -- good morning -- sounds like you had some fun yesterday with the mountains and rain. I feel like I'm a meteorologist lately -- LOL -- I check the weather channel all the time to see whats ahead for you. I wanted to call you to give you a heads up! -- but at the same time -- I knew you already were preparing for it... One thing is comforting for me while you are on this trip -- if anyone was to plan this trip out and make sure they dot all there i's and cross all there t's -- IT'S YOU :-). So my concern for you on this trip isn't so hard pressed knowing your in charge. Have a great day -- and whats this rest shit -- GET GOING!!! -- LOL and wheres my pictures -- LOL -- luv ya

    ReplyDelete