Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Everything Went Swimmingly.....

Distance: 38.59
Ride time: 3:17:49 Average Temp: 95
Average Speed: 11.7 Max Speed: 41.3
The morning started out misty, making packing up camp wet (especially when you leave you cell phone inside your sleeping bag and have to repack it). After a breakfast, I planned a new route to cut down a couple of miles off the trip. After a quiet morning of rolling hills, I stopped for lunch at a deli on VA Rt. 22. After lunch was when my raingear got its first of the day. Luckily for me I was along a row of trees and had time to get all my covers and gear on. Waiting for the rain to die down I set out again only to be dumped on by the second wave of showers. After pushing hard to get out of the rain I reached Charlottesville where I got a bike tuneup and will spend the night at a hotel due to the likelyhood of strong showers later on tonight. All in all, a good second day, tomorrow on to Afton, only a short trip, but I am trying to keep my legs fresh for the big climb.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy the night inside and being able to see Royal pains. Don't sweat the climb.
    Remember:
    IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CLIMB
    "LIFE IS REALLY ONE BIG MOUNTAIN AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP CLIMBING. YOU MAY NEVER REACH THE TOP BUT YOU CAN'T EVER GIVE UP. IN ALL REALITY OF IT: AIN'T ABOUT HOW FAST I GET THERE, AIN'T ABOUT WHAT'S WAITING ON THE OTHER SIDE, IT'S THE CLIMB."
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see your second day went well. A little wet but it probably felt good in 95 degree weather. Enjoy your sleep -- I'm sure that bed(even though its not your own)feels WONDERFUL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt,
    Enjoy every moment and savor this great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Munch,
    Guess the gear had to get christen eventually. I'm sure you would have rather it later in the trip. Good luck on your trip to Afton, just think your already half way up the first mountain. Just keep singing, Ain't no mountain high enough, oh boy that's corny never mind. Love you, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Matt, It's your other Aunt Lisa! Following you along is gonna be great I'll be able to live vicariously through you this trip. Be well...

    ReplyDelete