Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Here I am again on my own.....

Distance Traveled: 39.5 mi
Ride Time: 3hrs 30min
Avg. Temperature: 92 degrees
Well, I completed day 1 and it was anything but easy. After leaving my parents in Ashland, VA, I set my sights on Mineral, VA. I left with an rush of adrenaline, and a slightly nervous feeling. I coasted along for about 2 miles then I hit a very steep hill that I had trouble climbing. And then it hit me, I had lost my breathe and it had nothing to do with exhaustion. What had I just gotten myself into, would I even make it to Mineral, could I still call my parents in time before they got too far and have them come pick me up. All of these and about 1,000 more thoughts came rushing though my head. But after calming myself down and getting to the top of that hill I pushed on for about 20 miles before even thinking about a stop. After a quick powerbar and some gatorade, I pushed on to Bumpass (Its funny no matter how you say it) where I grabbed some food and an iced tea. After topping off my waterbottles, I started the final push to Mineral. And I am happy to say I made it (in pretty good time too, actually I should have taken some longer breaks). Now I am sitting outside the Mineral Firestation, which will be my home for the night, planning my route for tomorrow, as the one I have takes me too far out of the way. Hopefully my navigation skills are up to par.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, I am so proud of you. Enjoy every moment. I am almost done with the book. I do understand. Love, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ancient Chinese Proverb:
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Or in your case, 3000 miles! Great first day. Hang in there.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the first day was starting out with a few bumps in the road -- but that was quickly smoothed out through your diligence and stamina. Your on your way! P.S. watch out for the road kill :-) I'm Proud of you pinapple keep up the good work. Love Uncle Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking. - Sherlock Holmes
    Enjoy this adventure!

    ReplyDelete