Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Friday, September 4, 2009

A Tale of Two Watersheds...


As I rode out of Salida (7,083 ft) this morning, I was faced the looming mountains seemed like a daunting task. However it was seemed like no time at all, I was already 10 miles down the road and 1,500 ft higher into the sky. After catching my breathe for what seemed like the 100th time (The altitude really makes it tough, I see why people train at high altitudes), I had reached the Continental Divide. I reached the Continental Divide at Monarch Pass (Elevation: 11,312 ft). Mom and I stopped at the summit lodge to get a bite to eat, and just in time too as it began to rain. Unfortunately, the rain made riding down the mountain a little dangerous, so instead of the victorious ride down the base, we began our drive to Cortez, CO. Wow, some of the views were absolutely amazing. The colors, the formations, not to mention how much fun it is to take those turns in a car winding around the mountains. Tomorrow, I will have stood in four states at the same time, amazing I know. After that who knows, I'll let you all know as soon as I figure out what we're doing.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, how impressive! The pictures and tall tales are wonderful to read. I'm jealous and wish I was there. I was at the Coors Brewery 25 years ago, and they use to hang glide off the Aframe pub...it was beautiful. It must be great to have your mom with you, there is a happiness in your writing! Pedal on... much love, aunt lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day besides the rain -- but maybe it worked out better that it did. You have no idea how much better it makes a person like me reading your blogs when there are pictures posted. Its almost as if I am there with you. Thanks for the journey -- keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Colorado men are we,
    From the peaks gigantic, from the great Sierras and the plateaus,
    From the mine and from the gully, from the hunting trail we come,
    Pioneers! O Pioneers!"

    -- Pioneers! O Pioneers! Walt Whitman

    So now you are a Colorado Man a true pioneer. Glad you took the safe way down the mountain. Hear you are on to the four point intersection and some Native American sites. Keep exploring...Keep Blogging.

    ReplyDelete