Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Friday, September 18, 2009

I DID IT!!


I did it! I made it to the Golden Gate Bridge. I was greeted by the Pacific Ocean as a wave crashed over the wall and got me wet, but far from the gloom that the rains of Virginia brought, this water lifted me even higher. After two months of sweat, blood, and maybe some wind blown tears, I am in San Francisco. I feel like people could tell that I might have a story to tell because as I sat on a bench contemplating my achievement, about 10 people came up to ask me where I had come from (or it could just be my funny looking bike). Its funny, I have heard other bikers speak of how anti-climactic the end of their journey was; and I understand what they mean. Most people are just passing, living their every day lives, no idea what was just accomplished. However for me, I wouldn't have it any other way. This was not a journey in search of a tickertape parade or seventy-six trombones to announce what I had done. It was a journey in search of myself and to figure out what I wanted to do next in my life. I left from Ashland, VA in an unimposing parking lot and ended it much the same way at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. Somewhere in between I decided that I would like to go to business school, so when I get back to the real world in a week or so, I will begin preparations to take the GMAT's. During my time on the road I met a plethora of generous and caring people, many of who I would talk their ear off just to ease the isolation of my day. For those of you who helped me directly, thank you. For those of you who left comments on this blog, you words helped me through more than I ever thought they would. For those of you who read without posting, I hope you enjoyed following along as my journey progressed.



Now this is not the end.
It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
~Sir Winston Churchhill




As for this blog, I may post a few more times before I head back to New Jersey. Just to let you know the daily happenings of my time left in California.



Thanks again,
Matt

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! OK, I do not care what you say I am crying as usual. I hope you can take some time to reflect and look back on the last two months and the accomplishment you have just completed. I thank God for watching over you and blessing this adventure all the way through. You are correct though, this is not the end or the beginning, it is the next chapter in your life, and what a wonderful life it has been so far. I also have to say I have enjoyed all the inspirational comments. Thank you all for your words of encouragement and all your prayers to help Matthew reach his goal. Matthew I know I have told you this before but I will say it again, I love you and I am very proud of you. I cannot wait for you to come home and experience this journey with you through your words and pictures. God bless you and the next week with Kevin. Enjoy, you deserve it. Hugs, Love and Kisses, Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt:
    If you will indulge me one more time, I would like to share a few random thoughts and quotes with you in celebration of your tremendous accomplishment.
    "It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons."
    ~Friedrich von Schiller
    I felt bonded to you more during this journey than when we are sitting 3 feet apart on the sectional. I felt joined to you in mind, spirit and especially heart. As Gene Hackman says in the Replacements: "you gotta have heart." You showed it to me time and time again across these 3000 + miles.

    Thought number two comes from ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr. who said:
    "YOU DON'T RAISE HEROES, YOU RAISE SONS. AND IF YOU TREAT THEM LIKE SONS, THEY'LL TURN OUT TO BE HEROES, EVEN IF IT'S JUST IN YOUR OWN EYES."
    You are my hero today and everyday. You and your brother continue to inspire me.
    Thank you. I love you and I do hope my words and modest support helped you along the way.
    Lastly, we have shared a number of songs on this trip. You have sung some to yourself and I have quoted from others. It has taken on a type of karaoke atmosphere.
    Here is one for you to sing this evening:
    "I left my heart in San Francisco
    High on a hill, it calls to me.
    To be where little cable cars
    Climb halfway to the stars!
    The morning fog may chill the air
    I don't care!
    My love waits there in San Francisco
    Above the blue and windy sea
    When I come home to you, San Francisco,
    Your golden sun will shine for me!"
    - Tony Bennett
    For your cocktail conversation out there you should know that there is a significant New Jersey connection. The cable contractor for the Golden Gate Bridge was John A. Robling's Sons Co. Trenton & Robeling, New Jersey
    Finally, sometimes you make it very easy for me to post. I was looking for a few quotes to mark this feat. My final one selected before you posted this is from My Fair Lady:
    "This evening, sir, you did it! You did it! You did it!
    You said that you would do it And indeed you did.
    This evening, sir, you did it! You did it! You did it!
    We know that we have said it,
    But-you did it and the credit
    For it all belongs to you!"
    With all my love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey pal -- I am so happy for you -- I never had a doubt as I said to you before -- once you started -- I knew you wouldn't have looked back. It has been just as fun for me as well -- of course with less exercise -- LOL -- just the way I like it ;-) anywho have fun in Cali. and I will see ya home back in Jersey where you belong -- P.S. -- your right -- your bike looks like its from outter space -- LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt, Congratulations ! ! I am so proud of you and at the same time happy for you . What an
    accomplishment. Sorry i couldn't reach you before this. Have fun in Ca., you have earned it. See you
    when you get home.
    p s : Pat also sends her best. Love Aunt Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Matt, Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles that one has overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T. Washington
    I am so happy for you. You have taken this special time to search yourself and accomplish your goals. You will treasure this time and opportunity taken. I will miss my daily dose of your adventure. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the completion of your bike trip! I enjoyed following your journey.

    A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling," Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a ride well done, Matt! You have to be feeling pretty good right about now...and you should. You set a goal, persevered through the difficult moments (and rainy moments), relished the memorable moments, and achieved a goal that most people could only dream of undertaking. Enjoy the finish line...because you know it's really just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete