Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Friday, September 18, 2009

8.5 miles and a ferry ride

After busting out three sixty plus mile days, that is all that stands
between me and my goal. Some thing that I have learned is that the
west coast has a ton of cyclists. Each time one would come up to me,
we would travel a few miles together chatting about my experience.
Although each time someone on a superlight road bike would pass me I
would pick up my pace to try and keep up, but after a while the weight
keeps me back. My last two days have mostly been spent on bike paths.
I just kept thinking back to days when Aunt Doris and Aunt Pat would
take me to the bike park. I did appreciate the lack of car traffic and
the number of water fountains. As I sit in my room tonight, I am
excited that my goal is so close. I will let you all know how
tomorrow goes. Until then...

3 comments:

  1. Well Matt, I am excited for you. You must feel a great sense of satisfaction on achieving your goal(In 8.5 miles). I remember the day you drove off in Ashland, just think you almost called daddy and I to see where we were. This is something that you will have to talk about the rest of your life, for me finishing on my birthday is a present I will cherish forever. LOVE YOU and VERY PROUD of YOU. Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pal -- congratulations on achieving your goal -- I have to admit I had some doubts. My doubts weren't that you couldn't make it -- my doubt was that you wouldn't have tried it. That morning when you left in Virginia shut me up -- and I know it sounds weird -- but I too am very proud of you and I give you alot of credit for setting a goal and going after it and achieving it. So many people talk about it or even try it -- but few achieve it. This is something you will talk about the rest of your life. I will see ya when you get home -- we can go for a drink and you can tell me all about it -- luv ya pineapple

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the beginning of this blog, you referenced the book A WALK ACROSS AMERICA by Peter Jenkins. Somewhat disillusioned, the author sets out to discover his country and himself. The strength of his story is in the people and the places he met and visited along the way. Yes, I did read it while you were gone. Your goals and outcomes were in fact similar. Not only did you find some great sites and friendly people along the way, but in doing so I believe you found yourself.
    Your blog entries show a marked progression in you coming more and more to believe in yourself. This time I will end with a quote that you have come to live out:
    “Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.”
    Norman Vincent Peale, author

    ReplyDelete