Route Plan

Current Location


View Bike Trip Plan in a larger map

View Current Location in a larger map

Thursday, August 6, 2009

You can find me in St. Louis.....


After waking up in Louisville, I took the car and headed to the Mammoth Caves in the middle of Kentucky. Now I realize that this blog was originally dedicated to my bike trip across the US and I will eventually get back to it, however, I have decided to make the most out of having the car to see some things that I would have otherwise missed. One theme behind this trip the entire time has been to fly by the seat of my pants and go with every whim that comes to me. So far it has been working out pretty well. Now the Mammoth Caves were very cool, however, I think some of the manmade improvements like handrails and pathways really detract from the overall natural beauty. I would have liked to do some of the more physical tours of the caves, however the all start early in the morning and I had places to be. After exiting the cave there was a strange incendescent sphere in the sky. I asked one of my fellow spelunkers what it was and the said it was "The Sun". The term seemed vaguely familiar like I had once heard about it long ago, but its memory had long been forgotten. Its warming glow brought cheer to all who encountered it. Then came the long drive to St. Louis. After nearly running out of gas and a few leg cramps I made it to St. Louis a little after 9 PM. Lucked out on a hotel 100 yds from the arch and even have a view of it from the room. Today out doing touristy things again...

1 comment:

  1. Meet me in St. Louis!! I am sure you will meet some nice people there. Glad to hear you are doing some of these side trips, isn't that what a trip across America is suppose to be about, seeing the country. Can't wait to hear what you do today. Enjoy!! Love, mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete